The building

.
.
The building

The birth of the Dean Palace

The history of the Dean Palace is linked to the cathedral and the Romanic cloister of Santa Maria of Tudela as an integral part of the whole.

In 1239 appears the first Dean or head of the Chapter, who ruled the collegiate life and had quasi episcopal jurisdiction. Proof of the importance of the personages who held the office is the achievement in 1258 that the Pope Alejandro IV granted the Dean the use of the ring and episcopal mitre, which almost equated him to Bishops of Tarazona whose diocese depended on the church of Tudela.

Not surprisingly, it was decided to go beyond the equalization by building a palace, housing the Deans, starting its construction in 1477. To this period corresponds its basic body with the two current heights, the gallery of ogival mudéjar arches and maybe the tower that was demolished in 1879.

Entrada principal Museo
The building

Dean's Palace
Museum Access Roso street, 2.

© Museo de Tudela, 2020​

Pedro de Villalón y Calcena

The most famous Dean in Tudela, was papal waiter and pronotary of the Pope Julio II, who increased the priviledges granted to the Deans in Tudela. To this time, first quarter of XVI century, correspond the biggest enlargement of the palace that experienced big modifications becoming the main house in the town, and therefore, the palace chosen to accommodate kings and Popes in Tudela. Among these modifications remark the plateresque decorations and the shield in the main facade in Roso Street.

Escudo Deán Don Pedro de Villalón
The building

Shield main facade dean palace
Detail of the arms of Pedro Villalón and Pope JulioII. S. XVI.

© Museo de Tudela, 2020​

Restoration of the Palace and creation of the Diocesan Museum

At the end of XVIII century as a consequence of the creation of the diocese in Tudela in 1873, new reforms are carried out in order to accommodate the first Bishop.

Later, in the XIX century a body was attached to San Jaime Square, becoming from then on the main entrance of the Palace. The house was almost abandoned from the 19th century until the decade of the 30s in the 20th century, when it was occupied by some groups related to church.

This way the palace reaches the last years of XX century, when due to its poor state of conservation, is decided to restore it entirely. It was inagurated on the 26th June of 2000 being the museum of Tudela, property of the Diocese.

The management is carried out between the Archdiocese of Pamplona-Tudela, the City Council and the Government of Navarra, through a monitoring commission. In addition, the City Council collaborates with financial aid by signing an agreement with the Archdiocese.

Escudo Palacio Decanal
The building

Decanal Palace Shield

© Museo de Tudela, 2020​

Skip to content